My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Friday, 26 June 2009

Another ramble about Lancaster

Went round to Jo's for yoga last night, but in the end we just sat and drank coffee and caught up on gossip since I haven't seen her that much this past week.

So once we'd caught up on the saga of the exploding elderflower champagne, our other sister's impending house move, driving lessons etc and I'd talked about Ange and Lancaster and how nice it was to see my old stomping ground again, she asked me if I ever regretted moving south and thought of going back.

Well, yes I have thought about it once or twice - but never in terms of actually wanting to go back, more a kind of academic, what would it be like if I did thing. And I have to say that lovely as it is I'm always glad to be driving away again - even though I'm sad to be leaving friends behind me.

But this time, driving away on Wednesday morning, I actually felt a little resentful of that, and as I wondered why I realised that although for the best part of 20-odd years I tried very hard to turn Lancaster into my home town - I never did manage. It was C's home town in every sense of the word, but I was just a tourist with a long-stay visa. And really, that's not the town's fault - how could it be? If any blame is to be attached, it should be to me for not seeing it sooner, and for not moving on to live the rest of my (post-student) life in the way and the place that I really wanted to be. The trouble is that I never really knew what I wanted to be when I grew up - consequently it's been quite a drawn out process!

I don't necessarily intend to stay in Retford for ever - but I know now that I have choices. And that it is up to me to make them.

So to end my rambling, here are a couple of photos that my friend Dan took of Lancaster.



No comments:

Post a Comment