My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Wednesday, 3 June 2009

Oh no, Oh no...

It's back to work I go ...

Got back from Turkey in the wee small hours of yesterday morning - mercifully unaware of the Air France plane crash in the Atlantic due to a whole week of no TV, no radio, no newspapers (or at least none in any language I can understand). It's no good telling me that flying is safer than any other means of transport, I'm sure it is, but it's also (in my book anyway) the most unnatural means of transport. I'll repeat once again - if god had meant us to fly, he'd have given us wings. Tin cans with turbo jet engines and fixed wings are a pretty poor substitute.

And yet without them I'd have missed Turkey, which would have been such a shame, as I loved what I saw of it and the people so much more than I thought I would. I'm at work at the moment and have a week's worth to catch up on as no one does my job when I'm away so I can't write much - so will put a few bullet points to remind myself to come back later to:
  • The white arab horse galloping past the villa in the dying light of the evening
  • Brilliantly coloured flowers and the general bright loveliness of Calis
  • The colour of the Aegean, the 12 island boat trip, swimming in the warm sea, wondering if Odysseus got lost anywhere around here on his way home from Troy
  • The friendly, courteous, happy and welcoming local people
  • The fun of trying to speak Turkish, shopping trips and getting lost following maps that made no sense at all because the map maker had obviously never been to the area
  • The villa, the swimming pool, life by the pool
  • The heat, the mosquitos, the lorry squirting horrendously foul insecticides into the air every night
  • The local cats

No comments:

Post a Comment