My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Monday, 20 July 2009

As changeable as the weather

Moods are funny things aren't they? They're us, or at least a part of us - they affect the way we act, think, respond to and interact with people and the world around us. We talk about being "in" moods, which kind of implies that they're not really us, just passing phases or optional states of mind.

I try to be in control of mine, I don't want random hormones or passing emotional triggers to get the better of me. But I'll admit that I'm finding that quite hard at the moment. I can go from reasonable and rational to "Kill Bill" mode in about 2 seconds flat.

I'll start with my excuses: I'm tired, I've been very busy recently - my studies and final portfolio essays, going to Norwich and back twice in a week to help Kathryn move house, UCD exam boards, Oxfam on Saturdays, keeping house...

Meditation and deep breathing only gets me so far I find.

Especially when my favourite (and only) teapot gets smashed, and I have to say "oh it's all right, anyone could have done it, it's an accident. Don't worry, we'll get a new one to replace it".

Sulking? Me? Well, yes - but only in this blog! Hopefully this will get it out of my system and I can move on to something more important in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I do like your idea that because it's called being 'in' a mood, it's not really us. I guess the problems arrive when you are basically just one big Mood with a little bit of you in it that can barely be made out. I think that's me sometimes!

    ReplyDelete