My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Thursday, 9 July 2009

Cheap Days out in Notts

I had the day off work yesterday - very unusual this close to the exam boards (which are next Tuesday and way too close for my comfort) - but as my family is such a small one, visits from relatives are relatively (if you'll pardon the pun) big deals for us. In this case it was my cousin Michelle, her hubby and little girl. My mother has one brother, with whom she doesn't really keep in much contact, but Michelle and I get on well and when we lived nearer to each other, we used to meet up fairly often. Now that I'm in Notts and she is still in Lancs, we have dwindled to bi-annual emails and phone calls and the odd visit.

So it was a big deal, and a very nice day spent with them. And as Kassidy is only 3 and not of an age to sit still for too long, we braved the elements and went out - to Sherwood Forest visitors centre near Edwinstowe - a first for me in spite of having lived down here for the past 5 years.

And it was lovely, in a run down, slightly neglected way. The council didn't manage to get the funding they applied for last year to turn it into an all singing, all dancing major tourist attraction - for which I am very grateful. There were only a few other people besides ourselves, the woods were quiet and tranquil, and as the rain held off and the sun even came out for a while, we had a lovely ramble around along the paths to and from the Major Oak.

I forgot to take my camera though, so have filched this one from the Notts county council website.

Like any other old lady, the tree would be lost without her sticks - and in this case there are quite a few of them holding the tree together and upright - so it was hard to conjure up any spirit of romance and derring-do. But I still felt a lot of admiration for her age and sheer tenacity - I'm so glad they haven't managed to Disney-fy her yet.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a book today called 'The Secret Life of Trees' which I want to get for Husband who is very keen on trees. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fran

    No I hadn't seen it, but I've just looked it up on Amazon. It gets good reviews and looks lovely - so has gone straight into my wish list.
    BW, Gill

    ReplyDelete