My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Sunday, 9 August 2009

Harry Potter

I took mum and dad to the cinema to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince today.

The afternoon had a bit of an inauspicious start though. We had to charge up the A1 and M18 instead of pootling along the A638 via Bawtry because we were a bit late setting off. And then we got lost and couldn't find the cinema and nearly missed the start of the film because I had to abandon the car in the next-door Asda car park - we found the cinema (eventually) but had a short but manic farcical interlude when we couldn't find a way into the car park! For anyone who doesn't know the Lakeside area of Doncaster - it's a nightmare, there are no meaningful signs to tell you where to go, and when you do by the grace of god and a lot of luck, find your destination, some arse in a red BMW will make it their life's project to prevent you from changing lane/getting onto/round or even off the roundabout.

But we got there eventually, I parked mum and dad in their seats and then rushed back to move the car - having been told by one of the ushers exactly how to find the way into the car park from the main road, surprisingly easy when you know what you're looking for!

So, back to the film. I enjoyed it in spite of the freezing cold auditorium, the overly surround-sound-dolby-burst-your-eardrums volume and the seats that make your nether regions go completely numb after the first half hour (I'm not complaining about the trailers, though, as they were the reason I was able to race out, and move and park the car without missing any of the film).

I thought it was great. The scenery's wonderful, the special effects more than impressive, the pace of the film hectic and the storyline mostly true to the book. And I had a tear in my eye by the end of the film, even though I knew what was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment