My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Monday, 26 October 2009

Clinical Placement day 1

Started my clinical placement today - feeling shattered, exhilarated, relieved that the waiting is finally over, terrified that I might fail, scared of what is to come during the next two weeks, and feeling that tomorrow can't come soon enough and I can't wait...

There are 7 of us in total, 6 (including me) on our final placements, and one doing an introductory week. They all seem very nice, but I miss the group I was with in August on my Intro week. I'm sure, though, that over the next few days we will get to know each other and bond as a group.

Most of the day was spent in tutorials and demonstrations, but we finally got our very first patients later in the afternoon - mine was a lovely lady with nails that needed sorting and only a little scalpel work that the tutor did. Nice and easy and I was relieved to find that the practice I have put in at home cutting nails for my family (and anyone else unwary enough to sit still for more than 5 minutes in my living room!) has helped my skills and confidence.

We did a little practice with scalpel blades but only on wax. Tomorrow I think we will be doing it for real on real live feet - but I'm trying not to think about it too much tonight or I'll end up not sleeping.

Talking of which, it's only 10.45 but I'm so tired I can't type straight so am off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment