My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Tuesday, 29 December 2009

Happy New Year, Happy New Decade

I started this last year, meaning to spend a few minutes reflecting on the end of another year, and the end of the first decade of the new millenium we were all so mad to greet just a couple of years ago, and then move on to my new year's resolutions. However, family visits, and general Christmassy activities followed by taking the decs down and then starting back into work on Monday have kind of got in the way of my good intentions.


New Year's Eve came and went in that usual odd combination of anticipation, angst and boredom - both my sisters and their other halves came to mine for the evening meal so the anticipation was on their part and the angst on mine as I'm not comfortable with cooking for large numbers of people (7 is a lot for me to cope with!). But the meal was fine and we all enjoyed it, although to be honest by the time midnight came round I was well and truly ready to tell everyone to go home and let me go to bed -I know, such a party animal as I am!!

Anyway, on to the New Year's Resolutions - which usually fall into 2 categories

First of all there's the usual "I want to look different" one: learn how to dress with style and elegance, to pick and wear clothes that suit my frame and age - preferably with timeless Chanel-like chic. Learn how to do my hair properly, stop my make up from evaporating, running or smudging by lunchtime, keep my nails perfectly manicured and polished. Master the art of walking in heels all day and every day - and then go out in the evening in even higher heels and dance the night away.

Following on from that there is the "I want to sound different" thing: I want to speak with a softer, lower voice, stop stammering and speaking in rushed half sentences, umming and ahhing as my brain tries desperately to keep pace with my tongue, stop shouting on the telephone as if I really do need to project my voice right across the miles between me and the person at the other end of the line. When I meet new people I will be able to make pleasant, interesting conversation, impress them with my poise and friendly manners, make friends easily and often.

A complete make-over and personality transplant in fact!

But as we're now well into the first week of the new year, and I'm still me, still addicted to black, comfortable and slightly grungy clothes, still speaking before engaging my brain and changing my mind half way through, I'm giving up on all that rubbish.

So here are my TWO resolutions for this year.

1) Accept myself for what and who I am, get on with living and stop fussing about it all so much.

2) Develop a habit of kindness; practice again and again and again until I get good at it.

Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year! I was quite horrified to read all the resolutions you were going to try and achieve, thinking 'Wow! That's a lot!' and I was most relieved to get to the second list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fran, yes the first list was not only exhaustingly long, but completely inachievable, so I'll have to leave perfection for others anc muddle on as best I can!!
    BW, Gill x

    ReplyDelete