My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Monday, 18 January 2010

Working with older people

I love what I do, not least because while I'm working I get to chat to lots of lovely individuals. Most of my customers are elderly, and although I don't subscribe to the niaive belief that all older people are lovely per se just because they are old, I do find most of my customers to be friendly, kind and also very interesting. And just like me, they're not in a hurry, not desperate to be out there rushing around, living this mad 24/7 thing we all seem to be obsessed with now. After my past 2 jobs, it's a refreshing change of pace and of perspective.

But the downside to working with the elderly came home to me today, when one of my customer's next of kin rang to say that he had passed away last week.

I don't know what else to say really. I'm not shocked or devastated, just a little sad, and feeling that when I go to see my customers in the future I'll make sure I enjoy the time I spend with them each and every visit.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you'll never know when the person next to you is going to be around tomorrow. Life is so uncertain, especially these days, what with terrorism, H1N1, global warming etc. Some are leaving us so young. Blessings

    ReplyDelete