My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Monday, 12 July 2010

Taken from Instances of the Number 3 by Salley Vickers

.
"I doubt not of my own salvation; and in whom can I have such occasion of doubt as in my Self?  When I come to heaven, shall I be able to say to any there, Lord! how got you hither?  Was any man less likely to come hither than I?"  John Donne, Sermon VIII, 371.

I love Salley Vickers' books.  To date I've read Miss Garnet's Angel, which inspired in me a (so far unfulfilled) ambition to go for long solitary walks in Venice; and Mr Golightly's Holiday, in which God decides to take a long overdue holiday in an English country village.  I'm currently half way through Instances of the Number 3 which I bought for 50p from a church fete a few weeks ago. 

I'm reading it very slowly as I don't want to end the pleasure; Salley writes beautifully, her style is clear and understated and reading her prose just feels good in itself.  But what I like most of all is that she is a kind author - her characters aren't perfect, and she shows that it's their faults and foibles that make them individual, human, and likeable.  And as they grow and develop, I feel somehow that I do too in my understanding of human nature and my place in the world around me.

4 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a good book. When I am reading one with excellent prose, I too read slowly, because I don't want it to end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, thanks for stopping by. I'm more reconciled to the imminent end of the novel now as I have discovered a newer book by Salley Vickers, to which I am about to treat myself.
    best wishes, Gill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you coming back or taking a break from your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Donna, thanks for getting in touch.

    I haven't deliberately let my blogging lapse - just finding it very hard to find any time to go online at all this past few months.

    I'm glad in a way as it means that my business is doing well, and I'm enjoying my work and practice very much.

    But I'm also sad as I miss having a bit more leisure time, and I do miss the blogs very much. So as I have a couple of weeks off after this week, I'm hoping very much to get back into it.

    Best wishes, gill x

    ReplyDelete