My job is mobile and I split my time working alternate weeks in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. I drive down country roads, enjoying rural England through the seasons.


Sunday, 14 July 2013

Better late than never



Finally, after living in this house for - what, 8 years? - I've sorted out my porch and made myself a writing/reading/meditating den.  And I'm so pleased with myself that I'm sat out here in it, even tho it's way past my bedtime and I have a really heavy day, not to mention week, ahead of me.

So what have I done?



I suppose the biggest and most obvious thing is the sort-of-canopy I've managed to put up to create some shade and privacy.  One of the many reasons I don't call this space a conservatory is the roof which is just corrugated plastic.  I really don't know why I never thought of this before but the other day I had a eureka idea to pin a couple of cream linen sheets to the roof beams - it took me a while to get it right this morning, but I'm really pleased with the final finished effect.  For good measure I've also pinned some cream linen curtain linings over the window, and moved the sunscreen from the coal cupboard to the back door.

And voila!  After a couple of hours hard labour moving garden and general tools into the coal cupboard, general clean and sweep up, major spider eviction operation and reorganisation of some of the nice furniture I already had out here, I have a lovely space in which to sit and do my stuff.

It's that perfect combination - not outside enough that I feel the need to come in when it gets dark, but not inside enough for me to feel stuck inside now that summer has finally arrived.

And on that note, I suppose I really do have to post this entry and go up to bed.

But I intend to get up early enough to have breakfast out here in the morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment